Gyro Districts were not yet established. But, since there were now Gyro clubs starting to flare up all around the two nations, in 1922 the Executive Council met in Toronto, and later in Halifax, to divide up the nations. From that point on, the Gyro constitution was changed to include “Six Districts of the International Association of Gyro Clubs”.
The new District VI executive continued to attempt to expand. The zeal and efforts of four dedicated Governors (Grant Smith, George Hazen, Arthur Smith and Fred O. MacLeod) resulted in 5 new clubs being installed. They were New Glasgow in 1925, Moncton in 1926, Fredericton in 1927, Campbellton in 1927 and Charlottetown in 1928.
The Gyro Club of New Glasgow has been a successful club ever since. Membership currently stands at about 90. Meetings are weekly, every Monday (except holidays) at 6:00 for 6:30 pm.
Our club’s chartered members stated at the time of conception that our club should dedicate itself to community service. Our club has helped our community in many ways over the years such as the erection of the War Memorial, sponsoring talent shows, organized many community dances and the Children’s Sunshine camp. The latter taught the children how to swim in the ocean and was intended to service particularly underprivileged children.
Today, the club organizes and sponsors the Gyro Safety Swim program at Melmerby beach each summer. The emphases is still on servicing underprivileged children. To raise funds for this program, the club holds a "Cellar to Attic" sale and the Gyro Chicken Barbeque each year. Our motto still is "a club that works together for our community ... stays together". It has worked well for our club for the past 88 years.
THAT'S GYRO FUN
Copyright © 2003- Gyro Club of New Glasgow - All Rights Reserved